Sunday 16 February 2014

Project #1: Seedlings: First Seedlings!

First of all, look at how my two garlics are growing!
I just realized that there's tinsel under that box? The cat must have put it there??? I don't understand, we had no tinsel this Christmas...
Anyway, on to the seedlings.

I must be honest. It had been well over two weeks, and I was despairing. At around 10 days, I checked the soil, wondering why nothing had deigned to sprout for me. To my surprise, it was dry under the first few milimeters. I'd been noticing that the little containers seemed to go dry very quickly, but I was misting them several times a day, so I thought it was fine. After discovering the dryness, of course, I decided to try another tactic and began watering from the bottom every few days, and pouring water directly on top every day. That seemed to work better.

But still there was no sign of anything sprouting, not even when I watered them yesterday (so, at day 16).

Then, this morning, I went to do the watering, and suddenly, there were sprouts. Three different containers had sprouted:

The thyme;

The Candy-Stripe Cosmos:

and the lavender:

This isn't a plant but it is cute:
She thinks I'm an idiot for freaking out over tiny green things.
How or why they all seemingly sprouted overnight, I'm not sure. I did have a weird dream right before I woke up this morning - something about pulling a big plant out of my seedling pots and seeing that the seeds had started sprouting. An interesting coincidence - I think maybe I noticed the sprouts subconsciously or something when I watered them yesterday? Well, whatever caused it, I'm pretty darn excited. Here's hoping they survive!


No comments:

Post a Comment